This Article has been edited and was first published on April 21, 2016.
Legendary musician Prince, was found lying lifeless in his Paisley Park estate in Minnesota early Thursday morning. Multiple sources close to Prince, who became an international superstar in 1982, confirmed his death, and in addition, there was a 911 call which reported a “male down not breathing” emergency.
More about this
According to sources, Prince had a medical emergency as a result of a case of flu on April 15th, however, the star appeared at a concert the following day and assured fans that he was doing fine.
In what may have been a prophecy of this dreadful day, Prince reportedly told the crowd, “Wait a few days before you waste any prayers.”
A seven-time Grammy winner, Prince rose to fame in 1982 with his hit album “1999”. He went on to sell more than 100 million records and won an Oscar for Best Original Song Score for Purple Rain in 1985.
Investigators are on the scene investigating his death.
According to the investigation, the Nothing Compares to You singer died from an accidental fentanyl overdose after taking counterfeit pills, reports the Guardian.
“In all likelihood, Prince had no idea he was taking a counterfeit pill that could kill him,” said Minnesota’s Carver County district attorney Mark Metz.
This followed reports that the federal prosecutors reached a settlement with the doctor accused of illegally prescribing an opioid to the singer. Dr Michael Todd Schulenberg agreed to pay $30,000 over a civil violation.
According to Metz, the pills prescribed by Dr Schulenberg were not responsible for Prince’s death.