Tanzanian superstar Diamond Platnumz has made history by becoming the first artiste in sub-Saharan Africa to hit more than one billion views on his YouTube channel.
Nine years after starting his YouTube account, Diamond, who has more than 3.6 million subscribers, celebrated his feat by holding a small party at his home.
- Would you ever try Yoni pearls? Here’s what you need to know about the herbal womb detox women swear by
- André 3000 launches ‘protest’ T-shirts with proceeds going to Movement For Black Lives
- Want to enter 2020 in style? Try these New Year’s Eve dessert ideas
- Was Lebron James at Kobe Bryant’s memorial?
- A look at the test tube penguins being created by a South African to save them from extinction
More about this
“This was not an easy thing to achieve. Billion! Thanks to the fans. Congratulations to the boss on achieving that,” a congratulatory message from his WCB record label read.
View this post on Instagram
From @wcb_wasafi This Was Not Easy Thing To Achieve BILLION Thanks To The Fans BILLION Congratulations To The Boss @diamondplatnumz on achieving 1 BILLION VIEWS on @YouTube Kwa Kweli Tunawashukuru Sana Mashabiki Zetu Nyinyi Ndio Mmefanikisha Hili Tunawaomba Muendelee Kutusupport Hongera Sana Boss @diamondplatnumz Kwa Kufikisha Views BILLION 1 ndani ya #YouTube #DiamondPlatnumz #Wasafi #Simba
The award-winning musician is far behind some North African stars and African artistes like Malian-born singer Aya Nakamura who have huge followings. In sub-Saharan Africa, however, the pop star’s main competitors in terms of numbers on YouTube are Afrobeats stars:
P Square – 810 million
Davido – 618 million
Flavour – 617 million
Tekno – 574 million
Burna Boy – 507 million
StarBoy TV (AKA Wizkid) – 480 million
Mdundo has compiled the top five videos that pushed Diamond to one billion views on YouTube: