Fall is upon us and sometimes we just want to cozy up in our rooms and snack all day, and that is fine. You do not need to spend huge amounts of money to satisfy your cravings when you can make your own flavorful and delicious sweet potato chips. Baked, of course, because you wouldn’t want to drench yourself in oil.
Most homes go in for sweet potatoes in the fall and you don’t always have to make fries or mash them. Sometimes make crispy healthy baked chips for your family as well.
- 2019 vs 2020: Lil Nas X shares his remarkable glow up a year after releasing ‘Old Town Road’
- Meek Mill and girlfriend split days after Kanye said he cheated with Kim
- Nicole Ari Parker says husband Boris Kodjoe isn’t romantic anymore, and fans are left wondering
- Dear ladies, here are six things you should never do right after having sex
- The mysterious 79-year-old crocodile worshiped as a god in parts of southwestern Nigeria
More about this
When stored well, your sweet potato chips can last for about a week or two in an airtight container. The serving options are also endless; you can have them with any dip you want — maple mustard sauce or smoked paprika aioli or even chipotle lime dip.
What makes this recipe banging is the subtle flavors the rosemary and black pepper add to the chips.
- 1.5 lbs sweet potatoes1.5 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dried rosemary1 Tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper1 tsp black pepper
- mixing bowlmixing bowl
- large baking sheetslarge baking sheets
- cooling rackscooling racks
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine olive oil, salt, black pepper, and dried rosemary in a large mixing bowl.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, and use a mandolin slicer to cut the sweet potatoes into paper-thin rounds. (I set mine to the thinnest setting.)
- Add sliced sweet potatoes to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Spread sweet potato slices into a single layer on the baking sheets, and leave space around them. Bake about 10-12 minutes on each side turning them once, until golden. Remove from the oven and cool the sweet potato chips on cooling racks for about 5-10 minutes. They will crisp up a little more as they cool.
5 Tips for best baked sweet potatoes chips
- Use a mandolin to slice the sweet potato slices evenly.
- Slice the sweet potatoes as thinly as possible (1/8- inch thickness) to maximize the crispiness potential! (A mandolin makes things super easy and makes sure your slices are evenly sliced.)
- Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet. Spread the sweet potato slices into a single, even layer, leaving space around each slice. When too many ingredients are on one baking sheet, the heat from the sheet gets trapped under the food and creates steam, and the sweet potato slices will be tender instead of crisp.
Hot, fast roast, instead of low, long bake. Bake them at a high temperature in the middle rack for about 20 minutes instead of baking them at a lower temperature for a longer period. A long, low bake (say 375°F or below) will result in tender sweet potatoes, but never crisp.
A couple of minutes less or more. Depending on the thickness of the slices and the strength of your oven, you might need to bake them a couple of minutes more or less if they look too soft or they are starting to burn. Watch them carefully because they can burn easily.
Let the sweet potato chips cool on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes after you take them out of the oven