As a self-proclaimed movie buff, I am always looking for a film to indulge in, but sometimes it can be quite frustrating because there is a lack of afro-centric movies that accurately, positively portray black, Africans as complex beings.
I am done with the criminal, maid, help narrative. I want to see movies that genuinely take into account what it means to live the complex, multi-dimensional black, African experience. There is a multitude of stories to tell, so why is it that criminals, maids, etc. is all that we tend to see?
More about this
We’re educated, knowledgeable, diverse, and above all flawed human beings. We deserve to be rightfully represented and portrayed. Below are movies I believe that do just that:
- The fascinating story of Africa’s Kru people who avoided slavery by taking their own lives
- One of Africa’s oldest presidents is running for office again as his country burns
- Two goals from African players earn France the 2018 World Cup trophy
- As Africa celebrates France’s World Cup win, football slave trade is killing young black players’ dreams
You may also like
- Michelle Obama lets her hair down and dances at Beyonce – Jay-Z concert in Paris [Video]
- Barack Obama displays his traditional Kenyan dancing skills with his grandmother [Watch]
- Here’s why black entertainers are taking over primetime television with excellence
- Watch the moment Davido’s new $246,000 Bentley touched down in Nigeria [Video]