Ghana student dies after alleged fire stunt goes wrong

Mildred Europa Taylor September 04, 2023
Prosper Owusu died after being consumed by fire during a hall procession at the school. Images: Social media/Metro TV

Prosper Owusu, a student of the Akenten Appiah-Menka University of Skills Training and Entrepreneurial Development (AAMUSTED), in the Ashanti Region of Ghana, died on Friday after being consumed by fire during a hall procession at the school.

Owusu, who was a third-year Mathematics student, was among some students of the Opoku Ware II Hall of the school who were reportedly engaged in some activities around the hall on August 25 when the unfortunate incident occurred.

Owusu was normally referred to as the “chief priest” of the Opoku Ware Hall of the school and usually led traditional rites for the hall with daring stunts, reports said. In videos shared on social media, he is seen running on the campus of AAMUSTED after his attire caught fire during a hall ritual.

People tried to put the flames out but they did not succeed. Owusu was rushed to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) to receive immediate medical attention, where he died days later.

“The issues surrounding the incident at the Hall are being investigated. Management will give further updates,” the university administration said in a statement while extending condolences to the bereaved family, students, and friends of Owusu.

The statement also cautioned students to avoid activities that predispose them to risks and other dire consequences.

Last Edited by:Mildred Europa Taylor Updated: September 4, 2023


Must Read

Connect with us

Join our Mailing List to Receive Updates