It’s a new year and everyone is sharing some inspirational quotes with their friends and family that will help them start 2020 on a happy note.
But in life, all of us will face challenges. You should consider yourself a unicorn if you have never had to face an obstacle.
The good news is, some of us are able to overcome challenges thrown at us with so much confidence but others are unable to. If you fall in the latter category, let the following quotes from these influential black people give you some motivation.
More about this
Note that the words from these personalities who have made a mark on history emanate from their struggles. Hence, such words would definitely help you deal with whatever life throws your way this year and beyond:
1. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” – Maya Angelou
2. “I am where I am because of the bridges that I crossed. Sojourner Truth was a bridge. Harriet Tubman was a bridge. Ida B. Wells was a bridge. Madame C. J. Walker was a bridge. Fannie Lou Hamer was a bridge.” — Oprah Winfrey
3. “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” – Barack Obama
4. “Racism is not an excuse to not do the best you can.” – Arthur Ashe
5. “There are two kinds of worries—those you can do something about and those you can’t. Don’t spend any time on the latter.” – Duke Ellington
6. “A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” – Jackie Robinson
7. “I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
8. “When you can do the common things of life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world.” – George Washington Carver
9. “Find the good. It’s all around you. Find it, showcase it, and you’ll start believing in it.” – Jesse Owens
10. “Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.” – Booker T. Washington