Keep Up With Global Black News

Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest updates and events from the leading Afro-Diaspora publisher straight to your inbox.

BY Kofi Oppong Kyekyeku, 1:52pm February 19, 2026,

Report claims 1,000 Kenyans lured with job promises, deployed to Russia’s war in Ukraine

by Kofi Oppong Kyekyeku, 1:52pm February 19, 2026,
Kenyan report claims 1,000 citizens were misled with job offers and sent to fight for Russia in Ukraine; embassy denies allegations.
Protesters carry placards during a small rally staged by Ukrainians, Russians and Kenyans opposing Russia’s invasion of Ukraine outside the Russian embassy in Nairobi, Kenya, on Saturday, Feb. 26, 2022. Photo via AP

Kenya’s parliament has been presented with a troubling intelligence assessment alleging that hundreds of young Kenyans were lured abroad with job offers, only to end up on the battlefields of Ukraine.

According to the National Intelligence Service report tabled on Wednesday, about 1,000 Kenyans were recruited under the guise of employment opportunities in Russia. Once there, they were reportedly deployed to fight on Russia’s side in the war.

Parliamentary Majority Leader Kimani Ichung’wah told lawmakers that the scheme relied on false promises of skilled work and tourist visas. He alleged that officials at the Russian embassy in Kenya worked with local recruitment agencies to convince applicants they would secure legitimate jobs. The report outlines the agencies said to have facilitated the departures.

READ ALSO: Two-day strike ends, Kenya’s main airport set to restore full operations

The Russian Embassy in Kenya rejected the claims a day later. In a statement, it said it had not granted visas to individuals travelling to Russia for combat in Ukraine. It added: “the Russian Federation does not preclude citizens of foreign countries from voluntarily enlisting in the armed forces.”

Ichung’wah cited figures from the intelligence brief, saying 89 Kenyans were serving on the front line. Thirty-nine had been hospitalized, 28 were listed as missing in action, several had returned home, and at least one death had been confirmed. He cautioned that any Kenyan diplomatic staff in Russia found to have assisted the operation would face consequences.

The issue has sparked anguish among families. In recent weeks, relatives of those who travelled to Russia have appealed to the government to intervene, claiming some recruits were coerced into combat roles while others are now prisoners of war in Ukraine.

Some of the returnees have described how they were enticed with promises of work as electricians and plumbers. They say they signed contracts drafted in Russian, which they did not understand, and were sent to fight with minimal preparation.

Kenya’s foreign ministry has previously acknowledged the situation and advised citizens to exercise caution when pursuing overseas employment offers.

READ ALSO: Former British soldier battles Kenya extradition in Agnes Wanjiru murder case

Last year, authorities arrested two alleged recruiters in connection with the operation. They were later released on bail and are awaiting trial, the AP reported.

Last Edited by:Kofi Oppong Kyekyeku Updated: February 19, 2026

Conversations

Must Read

Connect with us

Join our Mailing List to Receive Updates

Face2face Africa | Afrobeatz+ | BlackStars

Keep Up With Global Black News and Events

Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest updates and events from the leading Afro-Diaspora publisher straight to your inbox, plus our curated weekly brief with top stories across our platforms.

No, Thank You