When it comes to contemporary Afro-pop music, the continent’s youthful generation is breaking new ground to tell the African story in their own distinct and iconic ways. Since its beginnings with Nigerian Afrobeat pioneer Fela Kuti in the 1960s, Afro-pop music has spread across the African continent, making itself known across the world. In fact, the influence of Afrobeat has become well known not only in Europe but also in the US, where hip-hop and urban sounds have become a source of pride and identity for first-generation Africans in the diaspora. Here are ten budding musicians from across Africa who are ready to take a walk on the international red carpet.
- Seven black celebrities we lost to AIDS
- Civil rights icon Malcolm X was born on this day in 1925
- The Deacons; the black armed Christians who protected MLK, civil rights supporters before Black Panther
- From wife stealing to women having multiple sex partners, the age-old customs of the Wodaabe tribe
- Cameroonian invents boat made from plastic bottles to offer poor fisher folks chance to earn a living