When it comes to contemporary Afro-pop music, the continent’s youthful generation is breaking new ground to tell the African story in their own distinct and iconic ways. Since its beginnings with Nigerian Afrobeat pioneer Fela Kuti in the 1960s, Afro-pop music has spread across the African continent, making itself known across the world. In fact, the influence of Afrobeat has become well known not only in Europe but also in the US, where hip-hop and urban sounds have become a source of pride and identity for first-generation Africans in the diaspora. Here are ten budding musicians from across Africa who are ready to take a walk on the international red carpet.
You may also like
- ‘I love him’ – Tiffany Haddish confirms relationship with Common, says it’s the best ever
- Reginald Hudlin makes history as first black executive producer of Emmy Awards
- Nigerians unhappy as Ghanaian Attah plays Dayo role in new film ‘Tazmanian Devil’
- John Nzenze: The Kenyan music pioneer you should know
- ‘We’re in shock’ – Dubai Crown Prince pays hospital bills of Nigerian mother stranded with quadruplets
- “Slavery was a necessary evil to build America” – Sen. Tom Cotton
- Stono Rebellion: The largest slave revolt in America led by slaves from Kongo in 1739
- Why did a Zulu king invite a delegation of Europeans to a meeting only to kill 100 of them?
- How fearless slaves from the U.S. hijacked a ship in 1841 and sailed into freedom in The Bahamas