During the civil rights movement in the 20th century, anyone who stood up for the rights of African Americans became a possible target for assassination. White supremacists were usually behind these assassinations backed by racist authorities and the police. As we celebrate Black History Month, here are some of the activists who served as martyrs for the freedom of black people in Africa and beyond.
You may also like
- Introducing the West to world music, this Nigerian drummer also fought segregation with MLK, Malcolm X
- How Colombia erased its first and only president of African descent from history
- Marco Polo is credited with naming Madagascar but did not even visit the island – Why?
- The one-time fiery top aide of Louis Farrakhan who ‘not even a bullet could stop’
- Tignon Laws: The dreadful rule that banned black women from displaying their hair
- Idubor, the giant warrior prince of Benin who could uproot palm trees with his bare hands
- The Black Jew from Barbados who worked with Garvey and composed the UNIA anthem
- Sylvia Robinson, the little-known mother of hip-hop who put out the first-ever rap record
- Dave Chappelle’s great-grandfather was born enslaved but became president of an HBCU