Eighteen people lost their lives in a devastating highway crash in Egypt on Thursday afternoon after a truck slammed into a pickup, authorities confirmed. Three others survived with injuries.
The crash occurred along the 30 June Axis, south of Port Said province. According to a statement from the Labor Ministry, the victims were fishermen traveling in one of the vehicles. Officials have yet to determine the exact circumstances that led to the collision.
The pickup had been carrying the men to their jobs at fish farms in Port Said, a coastal hub in northeastern Egypt known for its vibrant fishing industry. The crash happened at about 12:30 p.m. Authorities believe the victims were originally from Matareya in Dakahlia province, a town with longstanding ties to the fishing trade.
READ ALSO: Egypt swears in reshuffled cabinet and names new defense minister
Images shared on the Dakahlia governor’s official Facebook page captured the severity of the scene. The pickup appeared wedged and mangled between two heavy cargo trucks, with wreckage strewn across the roadway.
In a statement, Prime Minister Mustafa Madbouly extended condolences to the bereaved families and directed that financial compensation be provided. The governor of Port Said later toured the crash site and visited injured survivors in hospital, according to a statement from the governor’s office on Facebook, overseeing efforts to clear traffic and confirm that those hurt were receiving medical attention.
Road crashes remain a persistent national crisis in Egypt, where thousands die each year, the AP reported. Authorities frequently cite speeding, deteriorating road conditions and weak enforcement of traffic regulations as leading contributors to the country’s high accident rate.
READ ALSO: Egypt rolls out 13 new ministers after parliament approves cabinet revamp


