These Hands by Margaret Mason is an amazing story. The author does a wonderful job at telling a man’s life story by how he was allowed or not allowed to use his hands. Using the medium of a dialogue between a grandfather and grandson, the author tells an amazing story of a man’s struggles to end the racist system of Jim Crow. The grandfather’s successful struggle creates the limitless possibilities for his grandson to develop and pursue dreams. This is a great tool to teach children about the underlining issues of the Civil Rights Movement.
You may also like
- The tragic yet resilient story of Igbo slaves who committed mass suicide off U.S. coast in 1803
- Five infamous African leaders who died a violent and barbaric death
- Hair wigs, the popular fashion accessory traced back to 1550 BC Africa
- Five reasons Africans may consider returning to voodoo
- The black magic that locks cheating spouses while in the act is real [VIDEOS]