An 8-year-old boy is being hailed a hero after he saved his 61-year-old grandfather from drowning in a pool. According to WFMY News 2, the near-tragic incident occurred at an apartment pool in North Carolina on Thursday.
The minor, identified as Christian Matos, was at the pool with his grandfather when the elderly man almost drowned after he reportedly swallowed too much water. Matos told the news outlet that his grandfather had entered the pool to wet his hair.
“He swallowed too much of the water and I just saw him laying there with his head down and arms like this and I felt his heart and it wasn’t doing anything,” Matos said.
The quick-thinking minor was able to pull his grandfather out of the water before performing CPR on him. Matos’ mother said she did not teach her 8-year-old son how to perform the lifesaving technique.
“I have never taught him that. It has never even dawned on me to teach him that. It’s a shame but it’s true. All of it goes to God. It had to have been God to step in and let this boy do what he did,” Cerise Hammie said.
Matos’ grandfather was taken to the hospital after their family called paramedics. The elderly man’s family also said doctors managed to take more water from his lungs. The 61-year-old remained on admission at the time of this report.
“I want to hang out with him again, hug him and stuff, take him on a walk, but no pool anymore,” Matos said.