By Dewan Farhana
Allergies are immunological responses to harmless environmental substances. Basic allergic symptoms, like watery eyes and sneezing can be attributed to a type 1 hypersensitive reaction, which involves the activation of mast cells and basophils by IgE antibodies.
With over 35 million Americans fighting allergies, it has been predicted that this year will be the worst allergy season to date.
According to ABC News, researchers believe that the increase in the time span between last year’s spring and autumn seasons, combined with the increasing levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, have all contributed to a longer allergy season.
As expected, a longer pollen season will increase human exposure to allergens, lengthen the duration, and increase the severity of symptoms. ABC News suggests five tips that can lead you to an allergy-free season!
5 Tips for Avoiding Allergies:
- Get tested to find out what exactly you are allergic to.
- Consult your physician about possible treatments like allergy shots and medications.
- Wash your hair and clothes regularly to get rid of pollen.
- If you have pets, groom them regularly as they can bring pollen indoors.
- Stay indoors as much as possible during pollen season to minimize your exposure.
Photo Credit: www.nu-moon.com/wordpress-3.0.5/wordpress