Jamaican criminals snitch in exchange for ‘snitch visa’ to stay in the U.S.

Mweha Msemo June 01, 2018
US visa lottery will not be available to Nigerians in 2022. Photo Credit: Twitter

Jamaican criminals are increasingly becoming informants for the U.S. government in exchange for staying in the U.S. This is according to a former drug kingpin Rob Brown (real name withheld) who provided law enforcement officers with worthy information in order to remain in the U.S.

Talking to The Star, Jamaica’s daily tabloid, the former kingpin said he was told by the authorities that he would be spending at least 15 years behind bars and suggested that he takes a plea deal.

“Dem place dem card on the table and tell me say if me can tell dem where I get my drugs they will assist me to remain in the United States. Me tink long and hard on it and realise say me no have much choice. Me end up leak on some youth who me know say a do the same thing,” he said

Criminals who agree to take the deal are provided with S-5 visa which is a green card for an informant.

S-5 visa (Often referred to as “snitch visa”) is a non-immigrant visa which allows travel to the U.S. for individuals who are witnesses, informants, or otherwise supplying information regarding a criminal organisation, and whose presence in the U.S. is necessary for law enforcement to pursue investigation or prosecution.

The former drug lord said a major drug kingpin was imprisoned and to this day no one knew that he was the informant.

“Nuff time yuh hear say some man deh jail fi some serious crime and little after you see dem a road a live free and no get deport and people wonder. People ago say dem a informa but the man dem just a think smart,” he said.

Immigration attorney Joan Pinnock, told the Jamaican tabloid that the S-5 visa is nothing new to Jamaicans and other Caribbean natives who have had encounters with the law in the US.

“It is often referred to as a “snitch visa” and is for persons who decide that they are going to be informers for the government. They are usually persons who are in the States illegally and have to know a lot about what is going on with some heavy crimes,” she said.

U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services defines an S non-immigrant as an individual who has assisted a law enforcement agency as a witness or informant. Also, qualifying family members of the principal S non-immigrant may also be eligible to apply for a green card.

Only a federal or state law enforcement agency or a U.S. Attorney’s office may submit a request for permanent residence as an S non-immigrant on behalf of a witness or informant. The requesting agency must also be the same agency that initially requested S non-immigrant status on behalf of the individual.

Last Edited by:Ismail Akwei Updated: June 1, 2018


Must Read

Connect with us

Join our Mailing List to Receive Updates