Following the death of their star player, Cameroonian Albert Ebosse (pictured), last month, Algerian club JS Kabylie has been banned from playing at home through the 2014 – 2015 season.
Keep Up With Face2Face Africa On Facebook!
On August 23rd, an Algerian fan threw an object (initially reported as a stone and later called a “missile”) at Ebosse’s head, leading to his death.
Of the fatal incident, FIFA President Sepp Blatter said, “[It is] intolerable that a spectator caused the death of a player.”
The Confederation of African Football President Issa Hayatou registered his displeasure at the turn of events, calling for “exemplary sanctions” following the death.
Hayatou said, “African football cannot be the breeding ground for hooliganism.”
These remarks from the top men in the football administration may have caused Algeria’s Professional Football League to hand down the sanctions to JS Kabylie.
Details of the ban include JS Kabylie supporters not being allowed to travel to away matches until January.
Ebosse’s death led to a temporal break in league matches; however, the league will resume this Saturday with JS Kabylie taking on USM Bel Abbes.
There are still concerns about increasing violence in football in the North African nation. The FA and Professional Football League officials are meeting to discuss these concerns.
As part of the discussion, the two outfits will be deliberating on the way compensation will be disbursed to Ebosse’s family in Cameroon.