Gunmen stormed a community in Kebbi state midweek, leaving dozens dead and reigniting fears over the worsening insecurity across northwest Nigeria.
Police confirmed that at least 33 people were killed when suspected Islamic militants attacked Biu district on Wednesday. The violence, authorities said, occurred after fighters crossed into Kebbi from neighboring Sokoto state.
In a statement issued late Thursday, police spokesman Bashir Usman said the attackers are believed to be members of the Lakurawa insurgent group, which maintains a presence in parts of Sokoto.
READ ALSO: Fatal gas leak at Nigerian mine leaves 37 dead
“Preliminary investigations confirm that armed Lakurawa militants entered the area to rustle cattle,” he said, adding that security personnel have been deployed to restore calm and maintain order.
The Lakurawa faction has repeatedly been linked to raids in northwestern Nigeria. Its operations often target rural communities, with incidents ranging from livestock theft to village attacks and kidnappings carried out for ransom, according to a report by the AP.
The latest killings add to a broader and deeply layered security emergency gripping northern Nigeria. The region faces threats not only from Islamist militants but also from heavily armed criminal networks that abduct residents for profit.
READ ALSO: U.S. troops arrive in Nigeria for training as security crisis deepens
Following this, Nigeria has deepened security cooperation with the United States despite earlier diplomatic strains. Earlier this week, the Nigerian military confirmed that 100 U.S. troops had arrived in the country to provide training support as local forces intensify operations against armed groups.


