Fortress of Muxima
Built in 1599, the Fortress of Muxima is located in Muxima district along Kwanza River in Bengo province. It was formerly used as a prison and it played a major role in the expansion of Angolan territory by the Portuguese. The fortress provided colonialists with access to the interior of Angola’s territory, while assuring them protection against any uprisings or revolts. In January 1924, the Fortress of Muxima was declared a national monument.