“I feel like my baby is now healed. She can finally be a normal kid and do all the things I felt she couldn’t do before,” Fowler said to KCENTV.
At Temple’s Baylor Scott & White McLane Children’s Medical Center, SaMiyah had the opportunity to ring the bell to announce the end of her battle with cancer in front of her family and a medical team.
At age one, she was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Her mother initially suspected she had COVID-19, but SaMiyah’s symptoms were far more severe.
Fowler told the outlet at the time, “I saw her at some low points in life so far at a young age. Why does this child have to go through this at a young age it’s not fair. If I could put it in my body so she doesn’t have to go through this.”
The young mother set out to find a bone marrow match for SaMiyah, who can save the life of someone suffering from blood cancer.
A study found that the odds of a black person finding a matched donor are only 23 percent, while the chance for a white person is 77 percent.
SaMiyah is no longer burdened by the stressful chemo treatments because she has recovered completely. She celebrated the end of her treatment right before the Thanksgiving holiday.
The relieved mother expressed, “There’s no limitations now. There’s no stopping us. We can go out here and have the best time. I’m so excited.”
The doctors surprised SaMiyah with a beautiful Princess Tiana doll to commemorate the occasion, which she hugged tightly, excited and grateful for the opportunity for a new future.