1. The world’s first heart transplant took place in Africa. True or False? True. The world’s first heart transplant was performed in Cape Town, South Africa on Dec 3, 1967
2. African continent is the world’s oldest populated area. True or False? True. Some cities, built centuries ago, are still inhabited today.
3. The shortest war in history was between Zanzibar and England and it lasted 2 days. True or False? False. It lasted 38 minutes.
4. The Sahara is the largest desert in the world. True or False? False. It is the third largest desert in the world after Antarctica and the Arctic. It is, however, the largest hot desert in the world.
5. At least 2,000 languages are spoken in Africa. True or False? True. Africa has 25 per cent of languages spoken in the world.
6. Only 100 independent states existed in Africa before colonisation. True or False? False. Africa had at least 10,000 independent states.
7. Africa is home to the world’s largest living land animal. True or False? True. The African elephant is the largest land animal, measuring 7.5m long, 3.3m high at the shoulder, and 6 tonnes in weight.
8. Lake Victoria is the largest freshwater lake in the world. True or False? False. It is the world’s second largest freshwater after Lake Superior in North America.
9. Africa’s largest statue is in South Africa. True or False? False. African Renaissance monument is Africa’s largest statue and is located in Senegal.
10. Sudan has the most pyramids. True or False? True. Sudan that has the most pyramids in the world at 220