The missing Chibok girls continues to be in the hearts and minds of Nigerians who are in complete disbelief that they are still missing and terrorism continues to plague the country. Last week, after the President wrongly blamed #BringBackOurGirls campaigners for canceling his proposed meeting, a huge Twitter backlash ensued marked with the hashtag, #SomeoneTellLevick.
The federal government employed Levick, a public relations firm, to the tune of 1.2 million DOLLARS.
The firm was hired to improve the image and news coverage of the federal government and its efforts to recover the abducted girls.
Many feel it is just another example of the Nigerian government wasting resources and losing sight of the problem at hand. The obvious best way to improve the image of the government is for the President and other government officials to be real leaders and promote and preserve safety and security in the nation. The most immediate action that can be done is to facilitate the safe return of the girls.
On Wednesday, the President finally met with 177 Chibok parents and school girls (pictured top) that escaped from the clutches of Boko Haram. In what was a closed door meeting, President Jonathan is said to have told the group that the federal government and himself are determined to save the girls that are still in captivity.
The Chibok group were banned from speaking to the press, and journalists were prevented from asking questions the Chibok delegation at the end of the meeting.
Reports indicated that parents did shake hands with the President, but were for the most part, understandably stoic.
Now, at 100 days, no one would have expected the girls would still be missing and terrorism would still be rampant; however, many citizens remain committed to pushing for their return.
The girls will not be forgotten.
You can lend your voice to the campaign (pictured) by joining an event near you or starting one.
You can also check Enough is Enough Nigeria’s Facebook page for updates on events that happen weekly.