Lately, I’ve noticed a few mishaps with how we are wearing foundation, so today, Face2Face Africa will offer some basic tips on how to select and apply foundation while creating an effortless and flawless face.
Choosing the Right Foundation
First, ladies, when choosing foundation, consider going to a store like Sephora. I love this store because you get to try before you buy! Make sure you go with no foundation on and apply three different foundations to your jawline until you find the one that is closest to your complexion. Wait for one to two minutes until it dries. The one that you can’t see is the right selection. Grab it!
If you go to a department store, ask for samples or have them match it to your skin. If you go to a drugstore to buy your foundation, it can be a little more challenging: this route may require you to become a chemical engineer, but you can still do it. I have confidence in you. Try holding the bottle to your skin. In some cases, you may have to custom mix two different colors to get your perfect shade.
It’s important for you to know what type of foundation works best for your skin.
Here are the different types of foundation you can buy:
- Cream Foundation (pictured above) gives the most coverage and comes in several forms: stick, pancake, or cream to powder. MAC makes great cream foundations.
- Liquid Foundation adds light or a glow to the complexion and gives heavy, medium, light, or sheer coverage. It just depends on the consistency. Either way, they cover all skin types. This is the most-common foundation because it works for everyone and there are so many great brands right now on the market. My go-to liquid foundation for my clients right now is Make-Up For Ever Invisible Coverage (pictured).
- Tinted Moisturizer can be made by mixing your foundation with an equal part of face lotion, which is perfect for the summer. I’m loving Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer (pictured).
- Powder Foundation can be applied directly to the skin with no emollient (water) with a brush or sponge. This foundation is better suited for young girls or someone who is just starting out in makeup.
Here are simple steps to apply foundation:
- Use a small, fluffy brush like Make Up For Ever #152 to achieve an airbrushed finish.
- Squeeze one to three small pumps of liquid foundation in to the palm or on top of your hand. Then swirl the tip of the makeup brush around to get the perfect amount of coverage.
- Apply foundation in a circular motion to gently buff the product on to your skin.
These application tricks will prevent streaks, help you to minimize the amount of product being used, and give you a flawless look.
Last week while I was working, I managed to poll 25 ladies with the following question: If you had a pimple, would you cancel a date? The majority said, “No!” I want to hear your response to the same question, ladies, so please send your answers to me at email@example.com.