Following its release on March 31, 2023, Davido’s critically acclaimed studio album, Timeless, has shattered multiple international records beyond the expectation of critics. Despite its partial leak, the 17-track album is sweeping through many charting platforms across the world, and setting new standards for African musicians and Afrobeat singers.
“Following the release of the album, the global streaming giant, Spotify, said Davido’s music is the most streamed in the United Kingdom, Canada, France, and Nigeria,” the Daily Post reported.
His fans’ appeal is hardly in doubt as the Afrobeat star makes music that captures elusive, exhilarating energy and followers across the world have connected since his earliest releases. While undoubtedly adored at home, the US is the single largest market for Omo Baba Olowo’s (OBO) songs, with the vast majority of his plays coming from outside Africa.
The UK, Nigeria, Canada, and France round out the top four countries where his song is streamed. We are honored to share his art and ethos with his dedicated followers in Nigeria and around the world,” said Victor Okpala, Sportify’s Artist and Label Partnerships Manager for West Africa.
Below are a few highlights on the performance of Davido’s ‘Timeless’ album since its release
1. The album grabbed the all-time record for the biggest debut week by any album on Spotify Nigeria on its first day of release. ‘Timeless’ tallied 4.91 million streams on March 31, beating the previous record debut week total of 4.89M by Burna Boy’s ‘Love, Damini’.
2. The first track ‘OVER DEM’ broke the all-time record for most single-day streams for any song in Spotify Nigeria’s history, over 2x the previous record (460K).
3. Eight tracks from the album occupy the first eight spots on the all-time list for the biggest weekly tally by any single on Spotify Nigeria, with ‘OVER DEM’ ranking at No. 1 with 1.26 million streams.
4. It broke the record for the biggest first-day streams on Boomplay, with its 7.25M opening-day streams surpassing the previously set record by Burna Boy’s ‘Love, Damini’ (3.38M).
5. ‘Timeless’ topped the Apple Music Album chart in 26 countries.
6. It peaked at No. 2 on the US Apple Album Chart, setting a historic record for an African album.
7. Davido’s ‘Timeless’ has set a new record for the first-day most streamed ever of an African album on Apple Music.
8. It had over 12 million streams in its first 24 hours, more than any other album in the history of Audiomack.
9. ‘Timeless’ officially made its debut on the Billboard 200 albums chart at number 37 after selling over 17,000 units in the US alone.
10. It is the first-ever African album to hit #1 on the US iTunes Albums chart, achieving this six days after its release.